• San Antonio Elementary School has scheduled parent information nights to share information about the Cambridge Programme with east Pasco families. The Cambridge Programme, which will be offered beginning in the 2017-18 school year, is a comprehensive approach to teaching and learning with an international curriculum model that provides students a rigorous educational experience. Students develop critical skills in core subjects through the engaging, flexible curriculum, which will prepare them for the Cambridge Programmes at Pasco Middle and Pasco High schools.
Sessions will be at 6:30 p.m Feb. 20 at Centennial Elementary, 38501 Centennial Road, Dade City, and at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 23 at Wesley Chapel Elementary, 30243 Wells Road, Wesley Chapel. For information, call San Antonio Elementary at (352) 524-5300 or go to pascoschools.org and click on the "schools" link at the top to access the school website.
• The Pasco County School District's school choice application window is open through March 1. Those who applied for a magnet school may also submit a school choice application for a traditional Pasco school.
School choice applications may be accessed by going to the district website — pascoschools.org — and clicking on the "school choice" banner at the top. If a student currently is attending a school on school choice, parents do not need to reapply unless: their address changed after initial approval, they reside outside of Pasco County, their school was affected by boundary changes, or the student will be moving to the next school level (for instance, elementary to middle or middle to high).
Families who live in another county and wish to request student assignment to a Pasco County school must submit a release from their home county within the open enrollment period. Students who reside in Pasco will be given first consideration for school choice enrollment. Applications that have not been completed in their entirety will not be considered. Families requesting choice enrollment for more than one child need to complete separate applications for each.
• Students in grades 6 to 8 are welcome to enter Clerk and Comptroller Paula O'Neil's Constitutional Officers Essay Contest. The competition begins March 1 and runs through 5 p.m. March 31. In 500 words or less, students will answer the question: "How do you, as a middle school student, benefit from taxes your family, friends and neighbors pay?" Entries will be judged by a panel of directors from the Pasco County Tax Collector's Office according to how well the student communicates his/her response to the question as well as overall essay structure, appearance and readability. Each entry should include the student's name, school, grade and contact information. The winner of the essay contest will be notified by telephone no later than April 17.
Students in public/charter schools should submit essays to their principal, who will forward them to the Tax Collector's Office. Students in private, non-public or home schools should send essays to: Greg Giordano, Assistant Tax Collector, Pasco County Tax Collector's Office, 8731 Citizens Drive, Room 120, New Port Richey, FL 34654, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information, contact Giordano at (727) 847-8179.
Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey. (727) 774-7382. centerfortheartsriverridge.com
• All-County Elementary Chorus Concert, 4 p.m. Saturday .
• Stages Productions presents Let Freedom Sing! at 10:30 a.m. Monday and Tuesday . Grades 3 to 7. $5.
• River Ridge High concert, 7 p.m. Tuesday.
• Mitchell High concert, 7 p.m. Feb. 23.
• River Ridge Middle concert, 7 p.m. Feb. 28.
•P.A.W.S. for Friendship, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Feb. 23 at the Centennial Park Library, 5740 Moog Road, Holiday. Read aloud to a furry friend and practice. reading skills. Grades K-5.
• No Sew Pillows, 2 to 4 p.m. Feb. 25 at the Land O'Lakes Library, 2818 Collier Parkway, Land O'Lakes. Make pillows with a teen volunteer. Ages 9 to 15. Proper dress and a signed liability waiver are required. Call (813) 929-1214 to register.
For a schedule of events at all Pasco County library branches, go to pascolibraries.org. For information about events at the New Port Richey public library, go to nprlibrary.org.
Send your school news to email@example.com.